1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 sleeves saltine crackers
1 package Toll House chocolate chips
1 cup chopped cashews or walnuts
- Heat butter and sugar on stove until bubbly and brown (caramelized).
- Lay saltines out on a buttered piece of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet.
- Quickly and evenly pour caramelized sugar over crackers, using a pastry brush to smooth.
- (Note: The cooler the sugar gets the harder it is to spread.)
- Place sugared crackers in overn at 360 degrees for 8-10 minutes until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and pour package of chocolate chips evenly over crackers.
- With a spatula, coat the crackers.
- The chocolate will easily spread after a few miinutes.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over top and press down with wax paper and refrigerate.
- Break into squares and serve.